Dancers take the stage to showcase women’s difficult journey

Women struggling for a glimpse of hope will enter the stage, each carrying a different burden. They either drown from the unforgiving burdens, or let their strength and courage shine through the toughest of times. The Creations Dance Company will perform Redemption to show what these women are all about.

The Creations Dance Company puts on an annual showcase at Syracuse University, with a dance each year displaying a different theme. This year’s theme is Redemption, and the show follows the lives of several women dealing with addiction, abuse and relationships. Redemption will take place tonight at 8 p.m. in the Goldstein Auditorium. Admission is $5 for Syracuse students, $7 for Syracuse faculty, and $7 for general admission. Tickets can be purchased at the box office in the Schine Student Center.

Redemption ‘sheds light on prominent issues about women in correctional facilities,’ said the Creations Dance Company President Jerijah West. ‘It showcases various women’s journeys through overcoming adversity.’

Ten women founded the Creations Dance Company right here in Syracuse in 1977. The company first began strictly representing female African Americans. However, the company has now evolved into a group that welcomes all ethnic backgrounds and both men and women as well. This year, three men and 20 women represent the Creations Dance Company.

In previous years, the show focused on specific groups of people, which made it difficult for a larger body of people to relate. Last year’s theme dealt with college life, which only embodied Syracuse University instead of the whole Syracuse community, who is also invited to the show.

This year, Redemption outlines more genuine experiences that can be applied to many types of people. One of the goals of the show is to help women in these addressed situations understand that they do not have to be victims. The performers overcome adversity, said West, as they demonstrate that women in real situations can overcome their personal struggles too.

Redemption also represents all types of musical interests. The dance incorporates eclectic style with contemporary style, gospel with tap, lyrical with African and traditional with hip-hop. Together, these totally different movements work to create a story for the showcase.

‘This is crazy. There are so many special moments,’ said West, who is particularly looking forward to the scene on addiction, which will hopefully impact the audience in a variety of emotional ways.

Emmurp08@syr.edu