Letter to the Editor

61st Student Association Legislative Session responds to Theta Tau video

The members of the Syracuse University Student Association recognize that our community is hurting and feels unsafe about the recent offensive behavior of members of the fraternity Theta Tau. SA is deeply saddened and disturbed by the actions and is united together against bigotry. SA encourages students to denounce ignorant behavior in our community by accessing the Recognize US Facebook page and refusing to tolerate these behaviors by the campus community. SA hopes that all students and campus organizations on SU’s campus will be in solidarity against this ignorant behavior and bigotry, just as SA is in its support of the #RecognizeUs movement.

Actions SA will take include:

• Hosting a student town hall on Monday, April 23 in Maxwell Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. to discuss student concerns in which students will have the opportunity to talk to campus leaders
  • Supporting the development of a task force to unify the First-Year Forum that includes discussion-based bias education
  • Holding the university’s Council on Diversity and Inclusion accountable for the 33 steps it is in the process of taking to foster an inclusive environment
  • Encouraging students to voice their concerns at SA meetings at 7:30 p.m. on Monday nights in Maxwell Auditorium
  • Having an SA representative in the SA office throughout the day with extended hours into the evening to hear students’ concerns and how they can take action as an organization. There will be a student assembly representative on-call at all times. Please contact ooafriyi@syr.edu and scfaram@syr.edu.

SA recognizes that these steps are just a start and will include more actionable goals in the near future.

Sincerely,

The 61st Student Association Legislative Session

MORE COVERAGE: