Letters to the Editor

Phi Sigma Pi to help host diversity, inclusion speaker for Theta Tau anniversary

Talia Trackim | Digital Design Editor

Dear editor,

It was approximately a year ago that an email from Chancellor Syverud hit every inbox on campus. In it, he publicly condemned a video displaying, “sexual assault, physical violence and grotesque hostility toward and mockery of people with physical, intellectual and other disabilities.”

The recording came as a shock to some, but for many others, it was the harsh reality of injustice still prevailing in a world of privilege. While this divisive content remains fresh for those coping with the bigotry, there were some positive initiatives that came from it as well. It provided a concrete example of why these issues can no longer be overlooked.

Syracuse University carried out many significant initiatives to address diversity and inclusion. These included hiring more counselors, conducting sessions with faculty about addressing bias in the classroom and appointing Keith Alford as the interim chief diversity officer. Most importantly, it created an open environment for students, staff and administration to readily discuss the issues of racism, sexism, heterosexism and ableism, to name a few, both in and outside our campus.

As a result, our own organization, Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, created a Diversity and Inclusion chair position. The sentiment and the desire to do better is strongly felt across the SU community. That’s why Phi Sigma Pi and the Student African American Society are working in partnership with the interim chief diversity officer to bring a cultural commentator to campus.

On April 22, Jay Smooth will be in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Smooth will address racial diversity and inclusion, free speech versus hate speech and student engagement.

It’s important to host figures who can address issues of bigotry and broaden our perspectives of humanity. Discrimination is a pervasive social problem that won’t improve unless it’s talked out and worked through. These dialogues, like the one with Jay Smooth, we hope will catalyze real change.

Without action, there’s no change. Complacency will no longer be tolerated. It does not and will not have a place at SU. We’re extremely grateful for Alford’s support in bringing the Jay Smooth event to fruition. This is an example of what’s possible when students and administrators work together. We need to do better, and we will do better.

Sincerely,

Members of Phi Sigma Pi